Monday, January 28, 2008

graduation, time to face the world headon.

Distinguished guests, parents, and this year’s graduating class:

My best friend reminded me of a quote by William Shakespeare that seems appropriate.


"There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound up in sorrows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves -- or lose our ventures.”

I think that what that quote means, is that life is short, and opportunities are rare. And we have to be vigilante in protecting them, and not only the opportunities to succeed, but the opportunity to laugh, to see the enchantment in the world, and to live. Because life doesn’t owe us anything, as a matter of fact, I think that we owe something to the world. And if we can just believe that- (laughs) I’m sorry. I have more, I just - think I’m having my baby.

No comments: